The 2.1 version has a longer lever which includes a metal half-pulley to make it a bit easier to operate the device when the tail is deflected. The ‘Dyneema’ version includes a Dyneema sling to allow the 2 karabiner set up. This greatly facilitates the frequent changing of anchor points.
The Spiderjack 2 serves as a multifunctional, self-blocking rope control device for the running double rope.
Subject to adequate practice the Spiderjack 2 allows for unique functions and movements resulting in a very dynamic as well as strength saving climbing in trees and other environments.
Features and Functions
- Use with ropes according to EN 1891, 11-13 mm.
Unlike the Lockjack the Spiderjack 2 does not require changing the clutch using ropes.
- Ready for use with just one carabiner
Fastening the Spiderjack to the harness and fixing the standing rope eye requires just one carabiner. This makes the whole system a specially compact one plus the hand-over-hand movement becomes really efficient.
- Extremely smooth rope passage even under load
As soon as you pull the line above the device the Spider turns from blocking into running position. This allows for two-handed as well as single-handed ascent or adjusting of work positioning even when there is little rope weight below to speed up the rope run. Pure efficiency at work here!
- Ergonomic release combined with line control
The ergonomically designed release lever of the Spider features a groove on its inner side giving a redirection of rope. This way the climber’s hands will not be affected by rope friction at all.
- Thumb brake allows for precise control of movement
Some practice with the unique thumb brake will facilitate a very precise control of rope passage from extremely slow to extremely fast. Trained experts really enjoy the Spider induced high-speed precision landings. Of course the brake system works just as well in ‘normal’ use. The brake pad is made of Guajak wood (guaiacum), a very hard wood, friction resistant and extremely durable.
- Using the Spiderjack requires wearing a harness with a low attachment point. The lower the Spiderjack is attached, the longer are the arm pull movements.
- The Spiderjack has no panic-function! Therefore it is necessary to follow user instructions especially in the learning phase!